> Cultural Heritage of Jung-gu
|cultural assets: Former Daegu Provincial Hospital|
|The former Provincial Daegu Hospital - the main building of Kyungpook National University Hospital at present - is a two-story masonry building built with red brick as a public Daegu clinic in 1928 during the period of Japanese colonial control. This building is located facing the main building of the former Daegu Medical School (Historic Site No. 442, the main building of present day Kyungpook National University Hospital).
This building is built along a east/west axis with the entrance facing to the north and has tile-capped roofs. The plan is 'L-‘shaped. It is composed of rooms placed on either side of the double-corridor facing north and south, respectively.
A side corridor with rooms facing the north is built in the wing to the right front of the building. This hospital is symmetrically divided by the front entrance porch and has a Renaissance feel with granite cornice designed window lintels and the eaves. In order to emphasize the facade and symmetrical view, the outer area of the building consists of such features as a turret with a perfect square roof, vertical half-sphere arch windows, pediment, dormer windows on the roof, rail walls decorated in a keyhole style and granite cornices. This building shows the characteristics of modern Korean hospital architecture, and while the right wing has been demolished and the left side of the front has been expanded, in general the original structure has been well preserved, which gives it historical and architectural value.